1. clogroll

in


clogroll ('KLOG-rohl) (n): A list of links to blogs that a blogger has neglected during an extended period of inactivity. 

On returning from said period of inactivity, a blogger is expected to produce an apology and/or a valid reason for his/her absence from the blogosphere, and subsequently, to read and comment on every post that he/she has missed for this period. Rarely does a blogger actually meet this expectation. His/her standard responses include posting a generic comment on the latest post on each of the blogs on the clogroll, proceeding to make a new post as though he/she had not disappeared at all, or in extreme cases, creating an entirely new blog in the hope of directing attention away from the old one.



Usage:

"I have so many posts to read, my sidebar looks like a clogroll."


"OMFG! How the f*** did that get on my clogroll? Who are these people? How long was I inactive again?"


Etymology:

From the Spartan word klogruul.

When the judges of ancient Sparta returned to court after their annual three-month vacation (from March to May, corresponding to Spartan Idol, a fighting tournament of great renown), they normally found a stack of undecided cases to be heard. It was a common practice to resolve their dilemma by sentencing all the defendants to death without trial or even a rudimentary glance at the actual crimes committed. This was called 'klearen de klogruul' (clearing the clogroll). 

Incidentally, Spartan records indicate that the number of citizens arrested for petty theft and jaywalking observed a 97% drop every year during the first week of March.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the good news maybe that half of those clogrolls might have deleted themselves. :|

Nice start! A brand new template. Keep up the spirit. Alright! Apologise to all of us for keeping us away from your loony ideas for so long * angry face *

Cabin-boy Dave said...

First follower, first comment. You've done it again :P

Unfortunately, you're right :(

Too many blogs I once followed are now no more. But several have become active again to take their place *rants about dynamic equilibrium in the blogosphere*

Okie, here it is: I apologise to everyone on my clogroll.

See? If I'd used another word, that apology would have taken at least a paragraph. Cheers for conciseness.

Simon Butler said...

I’ve generally found the best policy to be to simply take up blogging and commenting as if nothing has happened. If anyone says “Where have you been for the last x months?”, falsify the dates on earlier blog entries to make them uncertain as to their perception of reality.

Cabin-boy Dave said...

At the moment, I'm considering giving that approach a try. However, I'm afraid falsifying the dates might distort my own perception of reality. After reading and commenting on a dozen or so memes in quick succession, I tend to treat the dates as anchor points to keep myself from going completely insane.

Archana said...

Haha yet another interesting blog. :) And an interesting 'word' for sure. I feel that way when I haven't been blog-reading or anything. Though I'd rather catch up by reading the latest posts and writing a comment that's worthy, than dropping the flakey "Great post!" comment while trying to edge back into blogging, lol.

Anyway, good to have you back. :)

Sandy said...

I'll be keeping an eye on you Dave. Everyday you say? Hmmm...

Cabin-boy Dave said...

@ Archana:

Heh, that goes for me too. I prefer leisurely reading actually, and an insightful comment can make a blog author a lot happier than a generic one.

And thanks! You guys keep me blogging!

@ Sandy: Lol, be my guest. I'm a reformed man :P

Welcome to the Loonicon, both of you :)

Post a Comment

Unleash the might of your loonabulary!

This entry is filed under .

You can also follow any responses to all entry through the RSS Comments feed.